Sunday, April 13, 2014

Kheer-Style Oatmeal

For those of you who are unfamiliar (I was, until recently) "kheer" is an Indian rice pudding, perfectly sweetened and delicately spiced.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with me, I am not a woman who will ever stand over a pot of boiling milk and rice for an hour to ever enjoy this treat from my own kitchen.  I couldn't fight the craving, however, so I settled on a compromise.  Since oatmeal is easily the most boring food in the world, I attempted to marry East and West in a flavorful breakfast dish inspired by this Indian dessert.

And it was a complete success.
Kheer-style Oatmeal

What you'll need (for 2 servings):

3/4 cup steel-cut quick oats
1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
4 tsp. coconut sugar (plus more for garnish)
Unsalted pistachio meats
Slivered almonds
1 tsp. cardamom powder (plus more for garnish)

What to do:
  1. Over medium heat, add milk, sugar, and cardamom to a saucepan.  Sprinkle in some pistachios and almonds (maybe a tablespoon each, but add as much or as little as you'd like).
  2. When the milk begins to boil, add the oats.  Reduce heat to simmer and stir occasionally until the oats are done (7-8 minutes).
  3. Divide your oatmeal between two bowls and garnish with more pistachios, almonds, sugar, and cardamom powder.  
  4. Omnomnom.....
   
You won't regret this change of pace, I promise you.  My fiance has been clamoring for it ever since I served it.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment